The Maine Legislature is now considering the bipartisan bill LD 1708, “An Act to Create the Pine Tree Power Company” which would let Maine Voters decide this November whether to replace CMP/Versant with a nonprofit consumer-owned utility. Now is the time to speak up and let your elected officials know you want them to support this bill:
- Contact your legislators and the Governor and urge them to support LD 1708
- Write a Letter-to-the-Editor
- Subscribe to Our Power’s Email News
- Follow us on social media
- Donate to Our Power
Contact Your Legislators and the Governor
Contact your elected officials and urge them to support LD 1708, the bipartisan bill to create Pine Tree Power, a nonprofit consumer-owned utility to replace CMP and Versant.
Here’s a list of talking points and suggestions to help give your communication the most impact:
- Introduce yourself and say where in Maine you live
- Explain why it’s important to you to have a consumer-owned utility in Maine:
- save ratepayers money
- improve service and reliability
- address climate change
- put Maine’s grid under local control
- improve rural broadband internet access
- help Maine’s economy by providing well-paying jobs in the clean energy sector
- Thank them for their time and consideration
Write a Letter to the Editor
- Keep your letter short and simple—250 words max.
- Include a specific call to action or statement of support (“Please join me in contacting our legislators to let them know you support local control of our grid through a consumer-owned utility” or “Please visit ourpowermaine.org to learn about all the other benefits of consumer ownership of our grid”)
- Personalize your letter—tell a story…explain how the issue has or will affect you.
- When possible, mention a related article already printed by the paper. This increases the chances that your letter will be published.
- Be civil.
- Emphasize the positive. If you criticize, also propose a better alternative.
- Include your full name, address, and telephone number. The newspaper will contact you before they print the letter to verify that you are the author.
- Feel free to follow up with a phone call to make sure the appropriate person got your letter.
Subscribe to Our Power’s Email News
Submit your email address using the form below and you’ll get email updates about upcoming actions, volunteer opportunities, and the latest news: